User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Entering waypoints
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm 

I am planning to take an extended trip from my home in Massachusetts to Florida with my new 2019 Avalon Limited. I plan to take a route that I have followed previously, and I have gotten an updated TripTik from AAA. To supplement that guidance, I would like to have my navigation system following the same route in order to get immediate traffic info, turn by turn alerts, travel time monitoring, etc.. The roads I prefer aren’t necessarily the same as the GPS would select on its own. Sometimes I choose roads that I know to be less stressful or more scenic. My question is if/how I can instruct the GPS to take the roads I want to travel. Is there a way to set a final destination for each daily leg of the trip, then enter “waypoints”, such as road intersections, into the route in order to force the GPS to follow the roads I want to take? I have searched the links in the unit, and for answers online--no luck. Thanks for any advice. riderstan

Post subject: Re: Entering waypoints
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm 

The only way I know how to do what you want is to set multiple destinations that will cause a specific route.

At any point during navigation you can add destinations and the system will ask if you want to put the added destination at the end of your route or along the way. You can also Edit Route to order multiple destinations in whatever order you want.

When I do this I typically enter all the destinations and Save them so that I can pick them as they are entered into the route. If the trip is multiple days it's a little easier to build each day's drive this way. You can select destinations by touching the map to set it but that is pretty cumbersome and inaccurate with the Entune nav. You can also select destinations in the smartphone app and then import them to the system when you are in the vehicle. The Entune app is pretty clunky but at least you don't have to sit in the car to do it - you could do it in the hotel room. You can even enter lat/long coordinate in the Entune app - or at least you could before the latest major update to the app - I haven't tried it since then.

Note that when you have multiple destinations you can see the ETA to each by tapping the information icon at the bottom of the map screen.

Also note that my instructions apply the nav system in the "Premium" version - the version with the bigger nav screen.

Good luck.

ETA -
I just verified that you can still use lat/long in the Entune app. e.g. Click a point on Google Maps (desktop version). The lat/long will be shown for that location. Then type it into the Entune search bar as: 29.1973, -82.2526

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:47 pm 

Thanks, WestTex. It sounds doable that way, if cumbersome. Can road intersections be set as destinations? I suppose using coordinates could accomplish this, but again requiring a lot of cumbersome steps. Wouldn’t it be nice if the system could simply display a map on which you could trace a desired route using the roads you want to take? I wonder if “Toyota Destination Assist” could do this for me(?) Yes, I do have the “premium” Entune 3.0. My car is a 2019 Avalon Limited.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:50 pm 

The nav user manual states that there is a Destination category of Intersection but I don't recall ever using it. I suspect that would be useful locally but a real pain for long routes.

For several years I used a Garmin Nuvi and it was great to use the desktop app with it. A custom route could be easily set on the desktop map and then uploaded to the Nuvi. I miss that convenience a lot but I have traveled much of the western US using the Entune nav and it has worked pretty well. Of course, the difference in routing in the west compared to routing in the eastern US are two different worlds. How many route choices does one have driving through, for example, Wyoming? ha

My other car has Car Play and the latest version offers lots of options when using Google Maps. That too is less than ideal but I suspect Android Auto/CarPlay (or something similar) will eventually make systems like Entune obsolete.

I'm not familiar with Toyota Destination Assist - thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to do some research to see if that's something available to me with my 2016 version of Entune.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:32 pm 

Update: I have since written to "Ask Toyota", specifically their Entune 3.0, navigation questions link. Here is their reply:

"We apologize, the navigation system for the 2019 Avalon or any other Toyota vehicle cannot be modified to input a personal route for a destination. The navigation system will provide the driver with 3 different routes:
• Quick
• Short
• Alternate
If you follow the route which was provided on the TRIPTIK, the navigation system may possibly reroute if it is not similar to the one provided by the navigation.
We apologize for the inconvenience."

Very interesting! One would think that a system as sophisticated as Toyota's would be able to do this. I have a 5-year old $100 Garmin unit with which I am able to tailor my routes to include waypoints--exactly what I was expecting to be able to do with the onboard navigation in a 2019 automobile. Back to the drawing board, Toyota!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:56 pm 

Ha. About what I would have expected the reply to be. It seems to me none of the car companies assign much (if any) priority to their nav systems. It's especially frustrating when we think about the price of 'em.