I have a 2016 Avalon that I purchased in October 2016.
I agree that Toyota Entune is a huge waste of money. And if one were to pursue efforts with a dealership service department a huge waste of time can be added to the list of things wasted. This is of course on top of the time already wasted with usual efforts one takes when troubleshooting, thing such as removing devices, repairing devices, software upgrades etc.
I'm not going to spend too much time at the moment outlining my longer list of gripes but here are a few that pop into mind.
1. Upon connection it autoplays music from my iPhone without asking. It just does it. Regardless of whether I was listening to nothing, Podcast, music, or whatever - it always picks the same song that I never listen to. If I remove the song (or album) it then starts selecting something else it wants to play upon every device connection.
2. If I'm listening to nothing, and then I take a phone call and then complete the phone call, it then starts playing the same song mentioned above. If I'm listening to nothing when I take a phone call, do not assume I want to listen to some song I don't want to listen to instead of enjoying the peace & quiet I had before taking the phone call. If I'm listening to an audiobook, a podcast or nothing, and take a phone call, don't assume that when I complete the call I instead want to listen to that same stupid song mentioned above.
3. Bluetooth phone call connectivity seems fairly reliable, but bluetooth music device connectivity is hopelessly broken. It fails 90% of the time. Music and podcasts resemble a severely scratched CD.
4. There is no way to designate a default device to connect to. I had to remove my wife's phone connection because it would always default to her phone. And of course with her phone it would always autoplay her audiobooks.
5. The navigation is pathetic. Several times it has instructed me to make a u-turn even though I know the destination is straight ahead. Sometimes I use the nav system only because I may not be quite sure where to take a particular turn, and to have it tell me to go 180° the wrong way is quite infuriating.
I'm done with Toyota. My Venza was a mechanical nightmare one would expect from a Ford Pinto of the 1970s. This Avalon is lacking in drink holders & rear-seat USB connectivity, and the Entune system is so pathetic Toyota should be embarrassed for themselves.
Yes I have been to the Toyota dealer where I bought it. They applied a software update (why can't I do this on my own). This software update made things even worse. That was a half day of time wasted.