User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BASIC Entune System Wattage & Upgrade Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:25 pm 

I purchased a Corolla with the basic Entune sound system and have been generally happy with the sound.

However, I can't seem to really crank up the sound when I want to rock.

QUESTION #1: how many watts does the factory system output?

Because of the perceived lack of power, I have moved towards upgrading the system. I recently replaced the factory speakers with some 2-way (front) and 3-way speakers in the back. The sound is a little better, but I still can't crank it the way I would like.

QUESTION #2: has anyone added an amplifier to they system? If so, what kind of wattage did you opt for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post subject: Re: BASIC Entune System Wattage & Upgrade Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:21 pm 

I have no idea how much power the amplifier is capable of but I have noticed that Toyota sound systems will just stop increasing in volume before distortion sets in, which to me is a good thing but I do agree this volume level isn't very high and the dynamic range (the range between the low notes to the high notes) isn't much either.

As into adding an amplifier, much of it will concern the efficiency and dynamic range of the whole system. The dynamic range is determined in the head unit itself and this is what I would be concerned about, you can get a megawatt amplifier to make it loud but if you get a better head unit you'll get better sound at low volume and high volume which is what you should want.

But beware of which Entune unit you have, my Tundra has the Entune Premium JBL Audio with Navigation and App Suite has a separate amp with multiple speaker outputs to each of the speakers and would be a pain in the rear for me to swap out and not worth the time so I live with what I got and it's good enough for these older ears.

Post subject: Re: BASIC Entune System Wattage & Upgrade Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:40 pm 

Thanks for the response MT!

I have the base version of the ENTUNE sound system (i.e. no JBL speakers), so the upgrade in speakers has really helped.