User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: USB flash drive playlist on 2017 Entune Premium Audio, help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 pm 

I've been trying to get playlists on a USB drive working on my 8 week old 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium since I got it. The music plays fine and I can browse Artists, Genre, Albums, etc. just fine. But it will not recognize playlists on the many drives, and file types, I've tried. I have contacted Toyota Customer Care, and taken it to a dealer, and both are clueless on the format needed, except to quote the manual on "dont't use m3u files", which some have had success with.

The problem is that Toyota has not provided any definition for playlist format on USB devices, except to say "m3u playlists are not compatible with the audio player." To me, that's like specifying under fuel requirements, "don't use compressed natural gas" and expecting us to figure out that diesel won't work either, but gasoline will.

I've seen many requests, and recommendations, here and elsewhere on the Internet, on how to resolve the issue. All the people that have had success have done so in older vehicles, and none have specified the level of Entune system they have had success with. I suspect the issue may have something to do with the software version on the 2017 Entune Premium Audio.

So, I'm asking anyone with a 2017 Toyota with "Entune Premium Audio", if:
a) they've had success with creating a playlist file (a file that specifies a subset of the music on the drive)
and if so,
b) what is the file type you got to work
c) post the first 5 lines and last 5 lines of the contents
d) Year, Model and Entune level of your vehicle

If I'm able to get this to work I'll post a detailed explanation so others don't have to go through this aggravation.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Post subject: Re: USB flash drive playlist on 2017 Entune Premium Audio, h
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 pm 

So I heard back from Toyota today. It turns out, if all their case managers are like the one I spoke to, their case managers know little about their product. He didn't take the time to understand the issue. As he put it, “I'm not here to troubleshoot, just to make sure the dealer followed the proper steps to try to resolve your case.” If this guy doesn't know what the problem is, how can he know if the proper steps were taken? And when I politely asked to talk to his supervisor, the reply was, “Oh, sorry, I'm the end of the line here, I'm the Case Manager, and what I say goes.”

This customer is definitely not impressed with Toyota customer care.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm 

I have a 2015 Highlander and tried everything I could think of to get playlists to work. Nothing worked no matter what format or where I put the playlist. Where did you find someone that had any success? So far, I haven't seen anyone get a playlist to work on an Entune system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:38 pm 

JCDinPGH wrote:
I have a 2015 Highlander and tried everything I could think of to get playlists to work. Nothing worked no matter what format or where I put the playlist. Where did you find someone that had any success? So far, I haven't seen anyone get a playlist to work on an Entune system.

The guy in this thread said it worked, but I've been unable to duplicate it: http://toyota-entune.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1643&p=1829&hilit=mp3+playlist#p1829

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:58 pm 

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ This program allows you to grab a folder of songs and select them all and label the visual song preferably under the category Album Name whatever you please. In turn it labels all of the songs at once in that same category or tag. Very easy and simple yet an extra step because of the Toyota engineers serious oversight!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm 

benniesims wrote:
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ This program allows you to grab a folder of songs and select them all and label the visual song preferably under the category Album Name whatever you please. In turn it labels all of the songs at once in that same category or tag. Very easy and simple yet an extra step because of the Toyota engineers serious oversight!!

Yes, I use MP3Tag to verify the tag data in my music. But this is no substitute for playlists. To make something like this work requires multiple copies of songs, in multiple folders. With over 8000 songs on my drive it, would quickly exceed the maximum limit of music on the drive, which I believe is 9999. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:21 pm 

If you’re putting your files on a flash drive that’s the only time you have to copy the files and they will reside on the flash drive.... I am not following your sense of dilemma here. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 pm 

benniesims wrote:
If you’re putting your files on a flash drive that’s the only time you have to copy the files and they will reside on the flash drive.... I am not following your sense of dilemma here. :)

Ahhh, this is where we need to understand what a playlist file is. On my home audio system I have set up lists of my favorite pre-70's songs, favorite 80's, 90's and favorite songs of this century, as well as favorite blues, R&B and soul, and one for favorite all time songs. That's 6 lists I'd like to use, and should be able to use, on a long drive in my new 4Runner. Theses are playlists, and they often have songs that are common to two or three of these lists. And when I give the Entune system the voice command "Browse Playlists", it returns with "No playlists are available". Hence my dilemma.