User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Entune is a huge waste of money
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 pm 

I've had my Prius C three with Entune for almost a year now. Basically since the C came out. I want to inform anyone who is considering purchasing a Toyota that Entune is a terrible waste, and functions extremely poorly. Here are my main complaints about the system:

1. The system takes a good minute to boot up. This doesn't seem like a big deal at first. I mean, what's a minute? Does your phone or computer really boot up any faster? Not by much in most cases. The difference here is that if you want to use the navigation feature, you can't be moving. So if you need the navigation, you have to sit in the car and just wait until it's ready. Meanwhile (at least in the Prius) your engine is just burning gas if you haven't already warmed it up.
2. The voice recognition SUCKS! The fact that the system takes a minute to boot up actually wouldn't matter if the voice recognition worked well. Actually, it does do some things well. If you know the street address where you're going, it'll parse the full address correctly about 50% of the time. I consider that acceptable. What it does not do well is find POIs using voice control. Call out "Find Next McDonald's" or any other huge chain, and it will work just fine. But other POIs, even if they're in the POI database, are just lost. I travel to Disneyland occasionally, for example. Disneyland is definitely in the POI database, but every time you call out "Find Next Disneyland". the system just says, "Cancel". In fact, basically 30-40% of the time when you tap the voice recognition button, no matter what command you issue, the result will be "Cancel". Every time I hear that voice say "Cancel", I want to put my fist through the dash. I am not prone to violence, but that particular word upsets me because it doesn't tell me anything about what went wrong. I have a clear, accent neutral voice. There is no reason it should not understand me.
3. Can't really use apps from voice control. Supposedly you can start apps with your voice, but actually operating them doesn't work. This is important because, while the system doesn't stop you from pecking out your apps with your finger, it's rather dangerous to do so. Yes, this ties back into #2 to a degree.
4. Changes what you're listening to for no reason. About half of the time, when I get in the car, the Entune decides that it's going to play MP3s off of my phone without any prompting whatsoever. If I actually had music on the phone, that might be considered a 'feature', but I don't use my phone for that. So the only MP3's I have on my phone are my ringtone and a few random test recordings I made with a voice activated recording app. So then I have to flip back through to Sirius/XM. The fact that it happens half of the time, with no input at all from me, clearly indicates that this is a glitch. And an annoying one at that.

Really, the biggest flaw with the system is that you have to have an iPhone or Android smartphone to use it. That means that in order to fully utilize Entune in the first place, you have to already have a device in your pocket whose voice recognition, apps, and general function are substantially superior to Entune's. My Galaxy S3 on Android Jelly Bean can navigate to absolutely anything by voice control, and I'm sure the iPhone works similarly well. Point of fact, I'd pay good money to be able to install Jelly Bean over the junky Entune OS, and it's not because I'm more familiar with Android. I've had my Entune almost twice as long as I've been using Android.

What I wouldn't do to have my $2,000 back. Then I could get a small Android tablet, which would function much better, and I'd have more than a grand left over.

Post subject: Re: Entune is a huge waste of money
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:36 am 

Alighieri256 wrote:
I've had my Prius C three with Entune for almost a year now. Basically since the C came out. I want to inform anyone who is considering purchasing a Toyota that Entune is a terrible waste, and functions extremely poorly. Here are my main complaints about the system:

1. The system takes a good minute to boot up. This doesn't seem like a big deal at first. I mean, what's a minute? Does your phone or computer really boot up any faster? Not by much in most cases. The difference here is that if you want to use the navigation feature, you can't be moving. So if you need the navigation, you have to sit in the car and just wait until it's ready. Meanwhile (at least in the Prius) your engine is just burning gas if you haven't already warmed it up.
2. The voice recognition SUCKS! The fact that the system takes a minute to boot up actually wouldn't matter if the voice recognition worked well. Actually, it does do some things well. If you know the street address where you're going, it'll parse the full address correctly about 50% of the time. I consider that acceptable. What it does not do well is find POIs using voice control. Call out "Find Next McDonald's" or any other huge chain, and it will work just fine. But other POIs, even if they're in the POI database, are just lost. I travel to Disneyland occasionally, for example. Disneyland is definitely in the POI database, but every time you call out "Find Next Disneyland". the system just says, "Cancel". In fact, basically 30-40% of the time when you tap the voice recognition button, no matter what command you issue, the result will be "Cancel". Every time I hear that voice say "Cancel", I want to put my fist through the dash. I am not prone to violence, but that particular word upsets me because it doesn't tell me anything about what went wrong. I have a clear, accent neutral voice. There is no reason it should not understand me.
3. Can't really use apps from voice control. Supposedly you can start apps with your voice, but actually operating them doesn't work. This is important because, while the system doesn't stop you from pecking out your apps with your finger, it's rather dangerous to do so. Yes, this ties back into #2 to a degree.
4. Changes what you're listening to for no reason. About half of the time, when I get in the car, the Entune decides that it's going to play MP3s off of my phone without any prompting whatsoever. If I actually had music on the phone, that might be considered a 'feature', but I don't use my phone for that. So the only MP3's I have on my phone are my ringtone and a few random test recordings I made with a voice activated recording app. So then I have to flip back through to Sirius/XM. The fact that it happens half of the time, with no input at all from me, clearly indicates that this is a glitch. And an annoying one at that.

Really, the biggest flaw with the system is that you have to have an iPhone or Android smartphone to use it. That means that in order to fully utilize Entune in the first place, you have to already have a device in your pocket whose voice recognition, apps, and general function are substantially superior to Entune's. My Galaxy S3 on Android Jelly Bean can navigate to absolutely anything by voice control, and I'm sure the iPhone works similarly well. Point of fact, I'd pay good money to be able to install Jelly Bean over the junky Entune OS, and it's not because I'm more familiar with Android. I've had my Entune almost twice as long as I've been using Android.

What I wouldn't do to have my $2,000 back. Then I could get a small Android tablet, which would function much better, and I'd have more than a grand left over.

I will admit the voice recognition of the entune service pretty much sucks while driving. I have a Toyota Camry 2012 and I have noticed that the voice recognition works best when the car is still. Use it while the car is in motion and 60% of the time I end up canceling. The last update did make things work a little better but it still has problems. Don't get me wrong I love the system (when it working). The fuel app is awesome and up to date and the Nav system itself is fantastic. I personally think Toyota rushed this system and launched it before it was truly ready.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 am 

:D I cannot event find the mcdonalds using voice command because entune refuses to understand russian accent at all :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:59 pm 

Bump and update:

I had the C in to the dealership last week because my satellite radio had quit working. After a couple days of debugging and messing around, I ended up with a new antenna, antenna cable, and a brand spankin new Entune deck. I wish I could report that my old deck was just plain defective and that all of the problems have been resolved. That's not quite the reality though. Here are some updates on the new deck:

1. The replacement deck is substantially faster than the original. I'm guessing they revised the processor somewhere after the original release. It still takes time to boot up, but it's a little quicker, and response time when calculating routes or rerouting is noticeably faster.
2. The voice recognition has gotten a little better. If I were trying to give a voice command to go to a particular address, the original deck said "cancel" on the first try literally 100% of the time. Then, 2 seconds later, I would give the exact same command and it would work most of the time. The new deck only does the "cancel" on the first attempt about 10% of the time. Pretty significant actually, but POI selection hasn't improved.
3. No noticeable change in voice control for apps.
4. Still tries to play MP3s off of my phone almost every time I get in the car. Previously, I had reported being annoyed by this because I didn't have music MP3s on the phone. I decided to delete ALL MP3s from the phone with the logical thought that the app on the phone might actually recognize that there literally wasn't ANYTHING to play on the phone and stop doing this, but alas, it still tries, then I sit there in silence until I get around to reselecting satellite.

I'm a little surprised that nobody tied in with Entune development even attempted to address my concerns here. Then again, I was equally surprised that they didn't just delete this post. I guess they must not monitor these forums?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:48 pm 

I agree, for one overall reason: Toyota refuses to support Entune through updates to fix the buggy Entune software.

Neither the Apple iOS nor the Google Android apps have been updated since April 2014, even though both apps continue to be buggy -- especially in audio playback.

When the in-vehicle Entune crashes and freezes, the backup camera won't work, you can't use the Maps or Navigation system, you can't see tire pressures, you can't even listen to the radio. The only fix is pulling off the road and turning the car off.

And what about dealer support? In my experience, dealers are clueless, but their minimum charge for non-resolution is $200 or more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:09 pm 

I agree. I just had the latest software installed (2/1/2015) at Entune Customer Service's request. Did not help anything.
As pointed out, you need to have a device with more features than Entune just to run entune.
Audio works only if you tether it to the car (cord plugged into USB port). You can not monitor radar on the car's screen (they claim for safety reasons....so you watch the smaller screen on your phone!).
I have a 2014 Sienna and iphone6. Not very compatible unless plugged in.
Phone calls work fine; but everything else a waste of money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:01 am 

I can definitely see how many of you are frustrated with the Entune system and I agree with it having to do with Toyota having rushed out the Entune system, but I wanted to make sure that people reading on here got to know that Toyota has definitely made some improvements based off of what has been said on here. Granted I've only been using Entune for about a week and it is my first vehicle with Entune, but I got the 2015 Toyota Camry with Entune Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite.

To address some of the previous statements on here:

Alighieri256 wrote:

On my car the Entune system takes barely any time at all to boot up, it's up to the screen with the warning not to operate the apps while driving the vehicle within seconds.

Alighieri256 wrote:

The new Entune now has an option in settings where you can go to read aloud about 10 messages to the system that it shows on the screen to help the system get programed to your voice, I'm not sure how well it will handle with accents, but even before I used that I had about 80% success rate with the voice recognition. Since I've run the voice recognition programming I've only run into one issue with it since when I said a phrase and it just completely didn't understand, but as soon as I reworded it a little bit it went through just fine. With the new Advance Voice Recognition Toyota is claiming that the system will recognize even more things and that you can just talk to the system as if you are having a conversation, and granted I've only had the system for a week but it's done better than I expected so far with everything I've used it for.

Alighieri256 wrote:

So far I've only started Bing with my voice and Phone calls but both of them have worked just fine.

Alighieri256 wrote:

This has definitely been fixed because I have not once had a single problem with the system changing the audio source. It is something you can do with your voice, the steering wheel or the screen, but it is not doing it on it's own any more.

As for the having to have a smartphone to use the system, you only have to have one in order to use the apps Bing, Pandora, Open Table, and MovieTickets.com. Which if you didn't have a smartphone you're not usually going to have the data package to support it unless you are still one of the few that is using BlackBerry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:30 am 

Context: 2015 RAV4 Limited with Entune and Android KitKat 4.4.2 smartphone
Entune works but it is nothing stellar and there are a few serious flaws that Toyota never should have shipped.

Here is my initial list of Missing Functions
Ability to delete radio stations
What? You can't delete radio stations!? Really? Really!??
Toyota forces you to keep all those old stations you don't want.
Some people have suggested setting unused slots to 87.9 but that doesn't solve the problem.
You still have to page through the unused stations.

Ability to delete/suppress Audio Apps
Using the Mode button on the steering wheel to change the audio source is where Toyota forces you to cycle through audio sources you may never use (e.g. XM, Slacker, iHeart, Bluetooth). This creates clutter in the apps. I also want to delete the other lame apps (Hotel, Movie, Food, Fuel) since Google Maps does a much better job.

Ability to delete XM
Okay, the trial period is over and the sound quality sucked. I won't pay for something that lame.
Now let me remove all evidence of XM from the audio system (stations and app).
Oops. you can't delete/suppress/disable the stupid XM app. You have to page through the XM preview station every time you try and change the audio source.

Use of proper words for Navigation
No, I don't want to DELETE the destination, it must remain in the Address Book.
I want to CANCEL the Navigation. Yes, CANCEL, not "Delete".
Toyota forces Customers onto the forums to read about this idiotic choice of words.

Toyota UX people are you reading this?
Has it become clear that you need to apply the KISS principle to an infotainment system?
Do you realize that by not allowing people to delete the unused crap you are increasing driver distractions?
Use a Smartphone for reference (and terminology) when it comes to design.
Entune Navigation should be quick and simple but it is slow and clunky.

I look forward to the day when the Customer choices are: Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
It is clear that Toyota should stick with vehicles and outsource the infotainment UX work to the professionals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 pm 

I purchased the new 2015 Camry on last week and found the technical issue in USB .

One of my USB sticks has just 100 songs .Many of the tracks are the sole track from an album. Perhaps that's why it takes Entune a long time (several minutes) to discover the media and present the artist/song/genre browser screen. When that screen finally appears, I can navigate to, say, a genre and choose random playback. So far so good: songs are indeed randomly chosen from my chosen genre. When I power off the Entune then power on later (e.g., after starting the car up for a new trip), the song I was playing when I powered off Entune resumes exactly where I left off. Still good, but when the song ends, it becomes evident that Entune has forgotten all about genre random playback. If the song happens to be the only one for its album, Entune will happily play that same song over and over again. The only way I've found to resume random genre playback is to go back into Browse mode, wait for the media to be refreshed (several minutes), and select Genre/All Songs/Random all over again. This misbehavior essentially makes random genre playback unusable unless I'm happy with it working for only one trip.

Is there a software update that will help improve this (mis)behavior? If not, is there anything I can do to work around or otherwise improve this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 pm 

I would like to know the name of the company that makes the HD radio. I believe "ENTUNE" is merely software, does anyone know who writes this software? Somehow we have to get word back to the manufacturer that this product needs a lot of help. I've only owned my Avalon for a month, and I'm already looking for a new stereo system.