User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Develop my own app
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 am 

Is there some sort of development kit that i can download to make my own apps for entune ?
I have major problems with mp3 player. Files are in wrong order, files dont finish playback and cut off second before it should and other languages are not supported etc. The list of issues just goes on and on and on.
List of issues with GPS app.

So i wonder, can Toyota create a development kit for programmers to make apps ?
That way Toyota will save allot of money allowing community to build the content for them. I bet community developers cost 0 where as Toyota developers cost hundreds.
For that reason game developers give gamers tools to develop maps and characters and mods, because they know that their game will gain popularity that way and increase their sales not only initially but even in years to come. Unreal Development Kit is a good example.

If entune had some sort of utility to at least modify things or add or remove, but nothing.
They only have apps they have and give no other way to get different players or different GPS programs etc.
I would like develop a camera tracking into rear view camera so it will tell me how far i actually am from an object by triangulation etc.
I would like to totally replace audio player with something else that supports basic function called "file/folder browsing" and/or add other languages support.

Post subject: Re: Develop my own app
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:27 am 

Agree with all. Bump.

Does Toyota ever respond to these?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 am 

Why would they ?
Why would they make a simple android table instead of so called "highly sophisticated" newly designed and manufactured player that cost a fortune and does far less then the cheapest android tablet would.
Android tablet would be easier to replace. Easier to fix, Easier to hack, easier to upgrade, easier to install apps like custom GPS etc.
We could have google maps in our car but we are stuck with this NTUNE crap that has maps that are over 10 years old with no hope for update.

Not to mention, its slow and dumb at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:50 pm 

tonycstech wrote:
Is there some sort of development kit that i can download to make my own apps for entune ?
I have major problems with mp3 player. Files are in wrong order, files dont finish playback and cut off second before it should and other languages are not supported etc. The list of issues just goes on and on and on.
List of issues with GPS app.

So i wonder, can Toyota create a development kit for programmers to make apps ?
That way Toyota will save allot of money allowing community to build the content for them. I bet community developers cost 0 where as Toyota developers cost hundreds.
For that reason game developers give gamers tools to develop maps and characters and mods, because they know that their game will gain popularity that way and increase their sales not only initially but even in years to come. Unreal Development Kit is a good example.

If entune had some sort of utility to at least modify things or add or remove, but nothing.
They only have apps they have and give no other way to get different players or different GPS programs etc.
I would like develop a camera tracking into rear view camera so it will tell me how far i actually am from an object by triangulation etc.
I would like to totally replace audio player with something else that supports basic function called "file/folder browsing" and/or add other languages support.

https://github.com/openxc/vi-firmware/releases
http://openxcplatform.com/
https://github.com/smartdevicelink/sdl_core/
https://developer.ford.com/pages/openxc

Entune like Ford Sync runs on QNX they now have a open software license you can use to develop. I am not sure how you would get your app to Entune, I suppose it would happen via the Entune app.

Hope some of these links help.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:58 am 

I 'think' Entune is actually from Panasonic but not giving Toyota a pass they're the ones who contract them to engineer and build the thing under the specs they either come up with or sign off of. I'd like to buy another system but I don't want to spend the $$ on one with the same same features minus all the customization I can do on my Tundra via the Entune.