User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Entune System Update for Car and for Cell Phone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:39 pm 

Got an e-mail announcing that Toyota was issuing a big update to both it's in-car Entune Navigation and Audio and also a required update to the Entune App Suite on August 20, 2015. We need to go to the Toyota Web Site and follow the instructions to download the new software for the car and place the download on t USB thumb drive. You then put the thumb drive in the USB connector in the car and it will install the new car software. Instructions were to make sure you have the latest Entune App, which I do. BUT, the latest I find is not the version that works, it really needs to be a version yet to be made available.

I installed the car side software via USB thumb drive and had no install issues installing it. HOWEVER, now my GPS map fixes my location at Hills Tech Drive somewhere in Michigan. No satellite tracking. The map is fixed as is my location for any destination since it thinks I am forever at Hill Tech Drive in Michigan state.

Next I had issue with blutetooth audio. Even though it connects to my existing Andoid Entune app for Phone, Music, and Internet. NO AUDIO for phone or Pandora or other apps can be heard. I had to redirect phone audio to use the phone speakers after having Entune dial a contact.

If I go to uopdate my Entune, the Google PlayStore says I have the latest Entune installed. Yet, the announcement says I need a new one. Particularly since the new car software has dropped BING and other apps exist that the phone Entune does not have. I unistalled and reinstalled the Entune app from the Google PlayStore. When I saw "BING" appear in the Entune on restart I new, Toyota failed to coordinate the new Entune app release in the Google Play Store with this major change to the car software. This was confirmed with a call to Toyota support over the phone.

I am continually disappointed in the Toyota engineering around the Entune system. The fact that they can announce a huge change to the car's Entune System and open the install of it on a specific day and then NOT have the required phone app version on that same release date is mind bongling bad prcatice. It renders many car systems useless for navigation and phone audio, the life blood of the entire Entune Navigation and Audio sytsem. Uggh! Next time I buy a Honda???
-----------------------------

We hope you are enjoying your Toyota vehicle and Entune® App Suite1 service.2

We are excited to announce an update to your Entune system that includes Bluetooth®3 and multimedia functionality improvements, as well as new apps for Entune App Suite. The iHeartRadio app will be upgraded on August 20 to expand its functionality, and we're also introducing a new music app—Slacker Radio—to the Entune App Suite.

The Entune App Suite will have a new search engine app—Destination Search—replacing the existing Bing search engine.

Post subject: Re: Entune System Update for Car and for Cell Phone
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:24 pm 

I too received an upgrade notice and thought I'd give it a try. I haven't used Entune much in the past two years I've had it on my 2013 Prius III because the benefits weren't worth the hassle.
So I put the update on a USB drive and took it out to my car. I had to sit in the back seat in order to see what I was doing and get the tiny drive stick into the awkwardly placed slot inside the center armrest (you can barely see it and there's not much room for your hand to manipulate things). Update successful.
Test 1: Nav system point of interest search slightly easier than with Bing, but my phone and Apple or Google Maps is still easier.
Test 2: Address book lookup for navigating to contacts still completely useless unless your phone address book uses the exact same abbreviations and punctuation as Entune. All my contacts only show state and country or nothing at all.
Test 3: Entering an address manually still much more difficult than it needs to be. Might as well stick to my phone.
Test 4: Update was supposed to improve Bluetooth, but I noticed no difference on calls. Still cannot send or receive texts with Apple iPhone 5s.
Test 5: Trying out Slacker or iHeartRadio a complete fail. Both took forever to load and both sites said "no favorite stations. That's BS because I set up both on my computer and can see favorites there, and I linked my accounts for both in the Entune phone app. You STILL need to connect your phone with a cable to use either service.
I have no desire to check my stocks, check the weather or traffic, buy movie tickets, or make a restaurant reservation on Entune because it's much easier to do those things on my phone. If I'm going to have to attach my phone to do these things anyway, why not just use my phone to do them?
So the Entune app is getting deleted again.

Post subject: Re: Entune System Update for Car and for Cell Phone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:48 am 

My Entune fail since update:

When playing audiobooks through the USB drive, it no longer remembers where I left off. It starts the file at the beginning.

:?: Does anyone know how I can go back to previous version? I don't use anything except the Maps. The other "apps" are completely useless to me. I just want to listen to my books!

UPDATE (Dec 2015): I took my Highlander to the dealer. Apparently this is a KNOWN problem. They encourage people to call Toyota and report the problem. Make sure you get a Service Ticket number. This is their way of tracking the problems. The more people complain, the more they are likely to fix it. I also got to voice my opinion about adding apps that are more useful. (I don't need to order takeout while driving but WAZE would come in handy!)