User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: USB Folder Playback
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 am 

I just got a new 2014 Tacoma with "Entune Audio Plus". USB playback works ok, but has the annoying limitation of not being able to playback just based on folder. It seems that the designers over thought this system and put all their efforts into Artist, Genre, Track name playback, but somehow forgot about Folder.

Is there any way to do USB play back based on simple folders? I know you can simulate folders using MP3 tags, but this seems like too much of a hassle for something that should just work

thanks
Charlie

Post subject: Re: USB Folder Playback
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:48 am 

I'm frustrated with this as well... Definitely annoying that no one has provided any feedback too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 am 

What I did was: Create a folder - Name it anything you want - Tag all the tracks "Genre" in that folder
the same name as the folder name. Then just select Genre to choose your folders and play the songs in that folder.

If you use Genre instead of Album it will display all the different album art.

I use a free program "The GodFather" to tag my songs. Just "Run as Administrator" and
MP3GAIN to adjust the volume levels -- So the levels are about the same for all the songs on my flash drive. I use 92.5db -- Everyone has their own preference.

I have a problem with the order the tracks are played, it doesn't seem to recognize numbers. I've tagged the tracks 01 to whatever, or 1 to whatever. Even put a number in the song title. But it organizes by letter only. I'm not going to do - A, AA, AAA, B, BB etc. That's stupid. Reminds me of a Dumb Phone I had many years ago. Same thing no track numbers only letters.

I realize this did not address your issue. I just wanted to put something out there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:37 am 

As far as I can see messages on this topic, my 2014.5 Camry LE base Entunes unit has the same random forgetfullness as all of the other Toyota Entunes in town. It is clear that the QA folks never turned the power off during the testing, so the bit that says "random" is only in memory until power is lost. The unit has non-volatile storage, so I would think they can fix it. Aside from never turning our cars off, I can suggest some best (workaround) practices.
1.rely on MP3 ID tags in all of your MP3 files, not separate directories for each artist/album/genre. If your USB stick has all of the files in the root directory, this will speed up the inevitable scan for files at start up.
2.Do not have other files on the USB stick, (non MP3/WMA)
3.I always play by song, most of the time in random. Entunes remembers the "song" setting after a power cycle, but forgets "random".
4.When the Entunes unit comes on, the last song in play will continue where it stopped in the prior car trip. After the USB scan, (about 5 seconds with 200 mp3 files in the root directory), I hit the round "dot" button on the steering wheel *twice*. The first "click" highlights "random" (as it was when the car was turned off) and the second "click" starts the next MP3 file. This puts operations back on track :)
5.The easiest way to confirm USB random mode is with the right hand select knob; each "detent" turn on the select knob moves to the next mp3 file and the display has the counted file number and the total number of files (e.g. 10/167) that clearly changes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:02 pm 

Just wanted to reinforce what ecowheelie had to say about his/her Entune system not recognizing folders on an USB stick. His workaround was dead on -- list each track by "genre". All tracks with the same genre name will appear together under the "genre" heading you designated when you browse the USB stick in Entune. You can create your own genre name that reflects each folder you have your MP3s in. The only thing I would recommend is using this program to re-tag your MP3 files: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ . The "Godfather" program that he/she recommended is not very intuitive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:15 pm 

As a follow up to my recent post, I discovered that unless you remove the "title" of the of the MP3, the Entune system will override your tagging by using a pre-set "genre" and will categorize your USB drive music according to how it perceives the title. It has to use some type of Internet connectivity to do this?? In my case, I had MP3s that were downloaded off of the internet and Entune classified them based on the title when I turned on the Entune system. However, MP3s converted from YouTube videos all were categorized by the "genre" I assigned and this worked in that the Entune system read them as being in the "genre" I designated them as belonging to. This is because when you convert a YouTube video into MP3, the resulting file does not have anything in the "title" category--there is just a "filename" associated with the MP3 file. You add your own genre using Mp3tag to categorize the tunes in the folders you want, and the system will play them exactly as you categorized them. BUT you lose your cover art if you remove the "title" from the MP3 file.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:12 am 

You can create your own genre name that reflects each folder you have your MP3s in.
virtual sport

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:59 am 

Solution is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
How do you expect me to find a song inside a folder when i have over 60 folders and over 1000 files on an 8GB drive ?
Not only it is going to take me forever to tag all those MP3's appropriately.

There is no work around the issue, there is simply a MANDATORY FIX REQUIRED
"BROWSE" means navigate into files and folders.
When it comes to "Songs" it uses "Title" tag of a file rather then a file name.
What if i want to find a file name that has incorrect Title tag ? Or a file that has no Title tag at all (like most of my files) ? I cant because it does not give file names nor folders its located in.

I am glad someone brought up the issue but i am so frustrated that instead of fixing the issue, people propose work arounds that are not eatable.

https://youtu.be/RkLVD4LI3Yc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:51 am 

I have searched many threads about this and there doesn't seem to be an answer, so I will try here:

In the manual for my 2013 RAV4, if you don't have the navigation system, there is a button when listening to the USB input that actually says "Folders"
There is no such button on the Nav system head unit, only "list" and Browse"

While listening to my USB thumb drive, I can easily browse artists, albums, songs, genres etc. via the Browse function (essentially, preset folders based on ID tags). However, the head unit does not recognize any folders I created on the thumb drive.

I am using a Cruzer Glide 32 mb thumb drive formatted to Fat32. I am using an iMAc to transfer files to the thumb drive. All my mp3's are tagged correctly. All I want to do is browse specific folders I created. Help?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:35 pm 

The Entune JBL "premium" system in my '15 Camry XLE recognizes ID3 Tag information only, not folders. My primary sort is on Albums. I have 800+ rock songs spread over 4 folders (no more than 255 files in each per Toyota's specs) but the Rock album shows all of them. This is one of the few things about the system that is consistent with Ipod and Creative MP3 players. You can have as many folders as you want but the players will only see tag info for albums, song titles, artists, genres and composers. Some other car makers systems do actually see the folders and if I owned one of them I would put all of my rock mp3s in one folder.