User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can I send text messages with Toyota Entune?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:52 pm 

I'm wondering if I can send and receive text messages with Entune through my SmartPhone?

It would be cool if Entune would read the received messages to me so I don't have to take my eyes off the road, and if I could speak text messages and have Entune send them to people!

Post subject: Re: Can I send text messages with Toyota Entune?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:56 pm 

Nevermind, found this info online, so I thought I'd post it here:
Toyota Entune has the ability to send and recieve text messages.

When an incoming text message is received, Entune pops up a window on the display screen.

Press the PHONE button on the faceplate, and then touch MESSAGES. Touch INBOX.

If the car is stopped, it displays the text message. If you are driving, for safety Toyota Entune will read you the text message - cool!

(You can also touch the enevelope icon on any screen to bring up your messages screen)

To reply to a message, touch CALL SENDER (which is confusing) and then select REPLY FREE TEXT and put the message in and click send. You cannot reply to a text message when the vehicle is in motion - I guess Toyota thought it was too dangerous for you to be touching little buttons on the screen to type out a 140 character message while trying to merge onto the freeway :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm 

Too bad you can't send text messages through Toyota Entune just be speech - I think that's a great idea. I wonder if it's because the Toyota Entune voice recognition compares your command to pre-programmed commands, where a text message it would have to know an infinite amount of info to translate what you want to say?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:34 pm 

It's posted somewhere else on this forum but apparently the text and email feature is compatible with very few phones. I have the iphone and it doesn't work with that. Apparently it does with with a few bb's and androids.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 am 

Receiving a text MSG is cool but can it take an address and navigate without rekeying ? Then that would be awesome