User forum for all things Toyota Entune

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Does Toyota Entune update? If so, how does Entune Update?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 pm 

Does the Toyota Entune system update?
Will the Toyota Entune system receive updates, and if so, will it be automatic like Windows updates? Or will it be optional? I imagine the updates could be quite substantial, and since it's through your smart phones data plan via Bluetooth, it would be nice to postpone it, or to be able to do it with your laptop via a wireless connection and USB so that the Entune update doesn't chew up your whole phone data plan!

Post subject: Re: Does Toyota Entune update? If so, how does Entune Update
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 am 

If you have the Premium System which has the OpenTable, iHeartRadio, and MovieTickets Apps, then Yes you have the option to update the system if a system update is available. This will use your data plan from your phone to check for any Entune updates. So, if you want to bypass your Data plan, do the update when your phone is connected to WiFi and not 3G or 4G service. Sorry, to say that those of us that have the system without the above apps, will not be able to do updates over the airwave via your cellphone connection. If any updates or enhancements are needed they will be available only from a Toyota Dealer. You will need to purchase a PIN Card that goes out to a tech in the shop and he enters this it to Toyota system while connected to the Car, then plugs in a USB Thumb Drive that has the update and your system will be updated. So, yes this is kind of messed up that those who paid for the higher end system will be able to do updates when available and for Free, but the ones without the higher end system, will have to pay. I'm waiting for that first update, because there are some bugs in the system, but with any new high tech item, there always is some types of bugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:14 pm 

Answering an old thread...

Toyota is now mailing out Entune software updates on a USB memory stick that you plug into your car's USB port. I received mine today but have not installed it yet. According to the letter that came with it, the update will:

1) Add 3 new apps: iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com and OpenTable.
2) Add voice-recognition for all Entune apps.
3) Improve the ability for Entune to receive future updates over the air.

The letter says that "you will also receive an automatic update to your Apps on your cellphone; however, they will not be active until you complete the update in your vehicle with the USB stick."

At the same time they say that "We have provided you with a memory stick that has an extra-large storage capacity of 2 GB that you can use to to download future Entune updates and enhancements that we will make available."

That last part confuses me. I guess that you may have the option of downloading some new features over the air, but some may have to be downloaded to your USB stick (via your PC I guess) and then transferred to your car. We will see.

My opinion here: I hope Toyota is going to do a lot of work on Entune. It is pretty disappointing right now and I don't view adding crapware like #1 above as a significant improvement. As it is now they are going to lose me when the 3-year free trial expires.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:36 pm 

"My opinion here: I hope Toyota is going to do a lot of work on Entune. It is pretty disappointing right now and I don't view adding crapware like #1 above as a significant improvement. As it is now they are going to lose me when the 3-year free trial expires."

Agreed -

if this system does not make some major improvements, the three years will not result in me as a dues paying customer. So far it's a lot to do about nothing. I don't eat at restaurants that require reservations, and movies, have the phone for that.

Also, that matter of greying out items, I do have passengers, and even though they try to tell me how to drive, and let me know when making a mistake, could access the system and enter data so that we wouldn't have to stop to get information or do queries.

I have had XM since it first started in my boat, in my handheld and in my old dead truck, so will continue with that. Not sure how Toyota plans on doing map updates as Garmin does them for free 4 times a year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:44 pm 

I like Toyota cars and now they introduce the new apps in Toyota car now i want to tell you about apps.
1) Add 3 new apps: iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com and OpenTable.
2) Add voice-recognition for all Entune apps.
3) Improve the ability for Entune to receive future updates over the air.